I absolutely adore decorating with real, live greenery for the holidays! I grew up having a real tree every Christmas and no matter how fancy of an artificial tree you get, nothing will compare to the smell and the beauty of a real one. But I am not just talking about trees. I am talking about all kinds of greenery: garland, wreaths, berries, you name it. I think there is just something so perfect about using live greenery, and bringing the outdoors in, that just makes your holiday decor come to life.
Dont let the idea of live greenery scare you. its not as hard to care for as you might think. As long as you spray your wreaths, garlands, branches, etc. with water every couple days it will stay fresh looking and it wont turn brittle and dry out.
I love how greenery can go just about anywhere. Leftover branches can go in a vase or on a shelf. Berries can be woven into garland or just stuck into your tree at random. There are so many ways to get creative with greenery.
I love how the garland is not only used on the stair railing, but it is also draped across the top of the window sill.
One of my favorite ways to use greenery is by turning leftover branches into a swag like the one on this door. A swag functions just like a wreath but rather than being woven into a ring it is just more of a bundle of branches.
I made this swag for my front door this year! It was really easy (and cheap) to make! Here is what you need:
Fir Tree branches: (I snagged some leftover branches(for free!) from a discard bin at Home Depot when we went to get our tree.)
Berries, ornaments, pinecones, etc (optional embellishments)
1. Bunch your branches together until you have a nice flu and even bundle. Reserve some smaller branches for the top.
2. Place a few small branches so that they flow out of the top of your swag to hide the stems of the larger branches.
3. Secure the bundle by wrapping the floral wire around the "neck" of your swag.
4. Use the floral wire to attache your embellishments (berries, pinecones, etc.)
5. Tie a ribbon around the neck of your swag to hide the floral wire.
Thats it! Your done!
What are your thoughts on decorating with live greenery?